Skip to content

Programs : Brochure

This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
  • Locations: Hong Kong, China
  • Program Terms: Academic Year, Calendar Year, Fall, Spring
  • Homepage: Click to visit
  • Restrictions: AUS applicants only
Dates / Deadlines:
Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Academic Year 2021-2022 21-NOV-2020 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA
Fall 2021 21-NOV-2020 ** Rolling Admission TBA TBA

** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.
Program Description:
Learn more about CUHK 

CUHK Advising Sheet
Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK):
Founded in 1963, The Chinese University of Hong Kong is a non-profit, public higher education institution, located in the suburban setting of the metropolis of Hong Kong (population range of over 5,000,000.) Officially accredited and/or recognized by the Education Bureau, Hong Kong SAR, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) is a large, coeducational higher education institution.

The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) offers courses and programs leading to bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. CUHK has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and students' past academic record and grades.

For more information, please see the Exchange Student brochure.

Hong Kong is an autonomous territory, and former British colony, in southeastern China. Its vibrant, densely populated urban center is a major port and global financial hub with a skyscraper-studded skyline. Central (the business district) features architectural landmarks like I.M. Pei's Bank of China tower. Hong Kong is also a major shopping destination, famed for bespoke tailors and Temple Street Night Market.  CUHK is located in Shatin, Hong Kong.
Exchange program open to UG students only
Sophomores encouraged to apply and must have at least 60 credits by program start date. 
Seniors may not go in the last semester
Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.5
Must not be in graduating year (Engineering majors)

Length of Stay:
One or two semesters.
Program Fees and Costs:
Exchange students pay AUS tuition fees for the full course load (12-16 credits) in addition to Student Activities fees. Any additional costs including housing, lab fees, meal plans, books and insurance will be paid directly to the host university.

CUHK provides affordable and convenient on-campus dormitories to students. More information about the cost can be found on
Students will need to apply for a student visa from the Hong Kong Immigration Department through the Office of Academic Links (OAL), their local sponsor, before coming to Hong Kong. It usually takes five to seven weeks for the Immigration Department to process a student visa or entry permit application; therefore, students should submit their visa application to the OAL at least two months before the commencement of the orientation week.
Health Insurance:
All exchange students must have valid health insurance coverage during their stay abroad. Students must purchase their own global medical insurance and personal accident injury insurance before they come to study in China.
CUHK offers undergraduate level courses under the faculties of Art, Business Administration, Education, Engineering, Law, Medicine, Science, and Social Science. Cantonese is the main spoken language in Hong Kong, but CUHK is a multilingual university, with English or Putonghua (Mandarin) used as the languages of instruction for many courses. 

Overseas exchange and study abroad students can take most undergraduate courses. 

At CUHK, one unit or credit is roughly equivalent to one hour of instruction per week. Most three-unit courses feature either three hours of lectures or two hours of lectures and one hour of tutorials per week. Students receive credits for all courses successfully completed, according to the academic standards of the department. All undergraduate exchange and study abroad students will need to take a full load of courses, meaning between 9 and 18 units per term.

No architecture courses offered. 

Students are open to a wide range of courses offered. Courses are subject to approval. 

The list of CUHK engineering programs accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers can be found at HKIE is a signatory of the Washington Accord and programs accredited by HKIE are recognized by the Washington Accord. Students can take major or required courses at CUHK after getting their approval from the College of Engineering at AUS. 

The business school at SUHK is AACSB accredited. Students can take major or required courses during their study abroad semester after getting the approval from their Associate Dean. Business students can also take their general education (humanities, etc.), free electives and business electives (major and minor electives).

Course Restrictions:

Courses Unavailable to Exchange Students: 
Please check below-listed links for courses not open to exchange students.
1st Term/ Fall:
2nd Term or Spring:
Students must fill out the AUS course permission form to get their courses approved by the Associate Dean of their school and the Registrar. Upon approval, students students will also be informed the grades required to transfer credits. Students must achieve the minimum grade as indicated on the form in order to receive course credit (requirements for credit transfer vary by program). Each study abroad case is subject to approval.
Financial Grant:
AUS students on grants/scholarships must obtain approval from the Office of Financial Grants and Scholarships before starting a semester abroad at a host university. In cases where the AUS student pays tuition directly to AUS for study abroad, the student will continue to use their AUS grants and AUS-funded scholarships for that semester abroad. These students should speak with the Financial Grants and Scholarship Manager for more information. Students sponsored by an organization outside of AUS are responsible for making arrangements with their sponsor.