“My stay at AUS has fulfilled its purpose. Not only has it improved my Arabic language skills but it has also broadened my horizons and gave me the opportunity to explore Sharjah and learn about the local culture. On a pleasing campus environment I felt like in the fairy tales of One Thousand and One Nights. I appreciated our experienced teacher and friendly IXO staff. The people and places of the UAE are deeply engraved on my heart.”
Alice Týnská, alumna from Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Early bird deadline is every 1st Saturday of March. If you have not completed your application before the early bird deadline and ONLY applying after March 2, you will need to pay both the non-refundable fees of:
1) AED 300 - Application Fee
2) AED 800 - Late Application Deposit (that will be deducted towards your AUS tuition fee).
We welcome you to study abroad at the American University of Sharjah (AUS) was founded in 1997 by His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qassimi, Member of the Supreme Council of the UAE and Ruler of Sharjah, who envisioned the university as a leading educational institution in the Gulf region. American University of Sharjah is an independent, not-for-profit coeducational institution. Consciously based upon American institutions of higher education, AUS is thoroughly grounded in Arab culture and is part of a larger process of the revitalization of intellectual life in the Middle East. AUS has been designated as the 2014 Islamic Cultural Capital of the world by ISESCO. In 1997 Sharjah received designation by UNESCO as the Cultural Capital of the Arab World. AUS is a leading comprehensive coeducational university in the Gulf, serving students from the region and around the world.
We welcome all incoming applicants demonstrating a strong command of English and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
International exchange students are welcome to take courses in all four AUS colleges and schools:
- College of Architecture, Art and Design (CAAD) - the only Architecture program outside of North America holding the prestigious NAAB accreditation
- College of Arts and Science (CAS) - including, e.g., Arabic and Translation Studies, and International Studies programs
- College of Engineering (CEN) - all programs ABET-accredited
- School of Business and Management (SBM) - AACSB-accredited
Speciality courses include:
- Islamic Banking and Finance
- Arabic and Gulf Studies
- Islamic Architecture and Design
AUS is conveniently situated on a beautiful, park-like campus full of Islamic-style architecture, only 15 minutes from historical downtown Sharjah and the city of Dubai. Our highly diverse student body represents over 92 countries, and 40% of our 6,000 students live on campus. Our campus offers many amenities: e.g. convenience stores, cafes, bowling alley, pool hall, sports complex, travel agent, health clinic, pharmacy, bookstore, beauty salon and barber shop.
Campus life is further enriched by the following:
- 22 sports teams competing across the region: 14 for men and 8 for women
- 73 student clubs and organizations: 33 cultural clubs (e.g. Jordanian, Syrian, Pakistani, etc.) and 40 non-cultural clubs (e.g. debate, photograph, etc.)
- Active and Ongoing Performing Arts and Events Program includes speakers, poetry readings, plays, concerts, etc.
- Community service opportunities