American University of Sharjah (AUS) announces 2017 Summer Intensive Arabic Language Program
The Department of Arabic and Translation Studies at American University of Sharjah (AUS), located in the United Arab Emirates, announces the opening of registration for its Summer 2017 Intensive Arabic Language Program.
The program provides participants the opportunity to earn 6 credit hours while studying in a campus environment with students from around the world.
Why study Arabic at American University of Sharjah?
AUS hosts a multilingual student body, providing opportunities for engaging with Arabic speakers from all over the Arabophone world. Sharjah is the cultural capital of the United Arab Emirates, home to numerous museums and other cultural venues. AUS is situated on a garden campus on the outskirts of Sharjah about 25 minutes away from the Dubai International Airport and minutes away from the Sharjah International Airport, which connects to the Arab world and other international destinations. A regular shuttle bus from campus goes to the two northernmost Dubai metro stops, making Dubai easily accessible by a modern metro system. The United Arab Emirates is a safe destination, and the citizens of many countries may obtain an entry visa easily at either of the airports.
Alif Baa and al-Kitaab fii Ta‘alum al-‘Arabiyya I and II, Third edition. Additional materials prepared by instructors.
Number of Contact Hours
120 contact hours total for the 6 credits: 90 hours of class time; 30 hours of lab time
The following courses will be offered during the Summer 2017 Intensive Arabic Language Program:
• ARA 107: Intensive Elementary Arabic I (6 credits): Textbooks: Alif Baa and Lessons 1 through 5 in al-Kitaab book 1.
• ARA 108: Intensive Elementary Arabic II (6 credits): Textbooks: From Lesson 6 in al-Kitaab book I to lesson 2 in al-Kitaab book II.
• ARA 294: Intensive Intermediate Arabic (6 credits): Textbook: From lesson 3 to Lesson 10 in al-Kitaab book II.
Dates in 2017
• Deadline to apply: March 25
• Arrival date: May 23
• Orientation: May 25
• Course dates: May 28 to July 13
• Final exams: July 16 to 18
• Departure date: July 18
Program Cost - Tuition and Fees
Based on US$ 1 = 3.68 UAE Dirhams (AED), full tuition and fees will come to about $7,465 USD total, including:
• Six (6) Credits of Tuition: $6,293.50
• Shared Dorm Room: $1,008.15
• AUS Student Activities Fee: $40.75
• Application Fee: $81.50
• Plan II Health Insurance Fee: $40.75 (This assumes that students will also purchase international travel/health insurance for the period of their stay here in UAE; otherwise this fee will be doubled.)
Other Estimated Costs (Not Included in Program Cost)
• Refundable dorm deposit fee: $271.75
• Meals: Estimated at $880 (assumes $5.50 per meal, 20 meals per week, total of 8 weeks in UAE)
• Books: Estimated at $112.50
• Visas: $85 or $190, depending on type of visa
• Personal expenses: Estimated at $1,000 USD, i.e. $125 per week for 8 weeks in UAE
• Travel costs: Return airfare from USA is estimated to be around $1,300
• International travel/health insurance: students should be insured for the full period of stay in the UAE.
Tuition and fees includes a shared room in the residential halls on campus. Each room accommodates 2 people and includes kitchenette and bathroom.